Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Another Day In Paradise

What a beautiful day, bright sunshiny, cool breezes, 70 degrees. 

        We have to do a few things for ourselves where I live. One of those things I have to do every week is take the garbage to the trash dump. I absolutely refuse to give one cent more money to my local government than I  have to, so therefor I cart my own garbage to the dump.  As I leave the dump, I have been taking note of a phenomenon  that has been going on since the great recession hit.  Across the highway from the dump is a little clearing of land, and every time I take my garbage off there is someone in that space selling what few odds and ends they can gather. Junk really. This impromptu market has turned into a sizable flea market. You can tell that these people are just trying to make a few dollars so they can buy food or gas with. These people are very poor,  but they are extremely resourceful and resilient at the same time. I always say a  little prayer when I see them, because if it wasn't for the grace of God,  it could easily be me standing out there, or anyone of you, trying to sell a few things just to make enough money to live on.

          But another thing  that seeing these people set up their meager wares has reminded me of. They have the right idea, this is capitalism in its purist, and most raw form.  Even if we don't need to do this kind of thing to survive, we should always be working at some kind of business so that no one will have to take care of us. All work is noble, and my hat is off to these brave souls who never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment